Posted to alt.home.repair
harryagain harryagain is offline

Default OT Maybe, maybe not HE detergent in an non-HE washer

"Art Todesco" wrote in message
Just replaced my less than 3 YO GE HE front loader with a new top loader,
also GE. The old front loader was a disaster. We virtually washed
everything twice, the 2nd time with no detergent in order to get the
cloths rinsed ... both times selecting the extra rinse. Still the clothes
didn't come clean at times and sometimes, there was still soap left in
them. I was a little concerned about getting another GE, but the
salesman did his job and convinced us to buy the GE. I also like that GE
is made in KY ... used to be made across the street from my boyhood home
in Cicero, IL. Anyway, a few years ago you could easily get non HE
detergent. Now, it is almost all marked HE. The recommended amounts are
now lower than the old non HE stuff was. Now, if you put this small
amount of detergent in a washer that uses, lets say 6 times the amount of
water (that's a guess), then the detergent will be 6 times or more
diluted. So, do you use 6 times as much? At 6 times the cost? Ah that's
what makes the high efficiency once cheaper to run (sorry, for the
sarcasm). Everywhere you look (google), they say to just use the HE stuff
in the non HE machines. However, nobody addresses the dilution question.
Any ideas here? I think I will call GE and ask them also.

I have a Miele machine. Dunno if they are available in the US. Made in
Germany.
It has run faultlessly for twenty years.
The automatic controls can be overridden if you don't like what it's doing.