mttt

Default Bowed Veneer Panels?

Been 'sperimenting with resawing and veneering. Resawed some 6" wide, 30"
long 4/4 Jatoba stock into 1/8" slices. Was flat after the cut. Believe the
stock to be dry - but lack a moisture meter.

Edge glued (Titebond) the veneers together to get a 12" wide, 30" long
sheet. Then a couple of days later, glued (Titebond Extend) the 1/8" thick
veneers to 1/8" thick baltic birch - aiming to end up with a 1/4" thick door
in the end.

Both panels bowed up - one much more than the other. Bow is cross grain -
across the 12" width for the Jatoba.

When I was experimenting with some 4/4 Maple a week earlier - same sizes,
same thicknesses - the bowing also occurred but with the grain - along the
30" length.

I don't recall whether how I oriented the Baltic Birch panels underneath -
but was thinking since they're more plywood-ish than not, they should be
relativley stable.

Can anyone help me understand (a) what I could have done to prevent the
bowing [e.g was the stock too wet; too thin; wrong glue] and (b) what might
explain why the Jatoba bowed cross grain and the Maple bowed with grain???

[ Head scratchin'... ]
Thank you!