Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob[_37_] Rob[_37_] is offline

Default OT - Renting Out Property

On 06/08/2012 13:31, brass monkey wrote:
"dennis@home" wrote in message

"TheScullster" wrote in message

The property is 3 bed semi in decent area - I am guessing at purchase
price of around £150k and rental £500 pcm possibly more.

That's a poor buy.
The one I know a lot about was £75k a few moths ago and gets £500 pcm.
There are plenty at that sort of price in Tipton.

There would be in Tipton.

Quite!

The post-war PRS has always been about capital appreciation to some
degree. Without that, it's a poor return on capital. If you're devious
with tax you might just get a return.

However, for BTL-types I do think there's a tendency to think in terms
of retirement lump sums and fleecing pension funds - therefore the
rationaility gets a bit twisted, and cash returns are replaced to some
extent by 'safe as bricks and mortar' thinking.

Rob