Posted to alt.home.repair
DD_BobK DD_BobK is offline

Default Acid for drain cleaning?

On Aug 5, 7:50*am, "TomR" wrote:
I am going to meet with a friend of mine in a couple of hours to see if I
can help him with a clogged/slow drain issue. *I haven't seen it yet, but so
far, he seems to be saying that it is mostly a bathtub (and maybe a sink in
the same bathroom) that has a slow drain problem. *I think he said he tried
to unclog it before but had some problems with it, and he wants to know if
by looking at it if I could figure out how to correct the problem.

Of course, we'll be doing the routine stuff -- using a plunger, a snake, one
of those plastic hair-cleaning gadgets, maybe Liquid Plumber, etc.

But, I was wondering if anyone has ever tried using acid -- probably not
something too strong, but maybe diluted acid or whatever. *I know about
keeping acid off of porcelain, and I know about adding acid-to-water and not
water-to-acid from chemistry classes and past experience. *And, since it is
someone else's house, I don't want to mess up their drain lines with too
much or too strong of acid.

Any thoughts or experiences on the acid idea and any specific suggestions
would be appreciated.

Again, I am going there in a couple of hours, but I'll check here beforehand
just in case anyone gets to respond before then.

Also, I may just pass on the whole acid idea unless someone here has any
suggestions that we may want to try.

OP-

I guess it's all moot since you;ve got the clog cleared.

But surprising as it may seem... there are several acid based drain
cleaners.

This may seem contrary to "common knowledge" but acid based cleaners
can clear drains without harming pipes.
I'm not suggesting the use of plain acid but acid based drain cleaners
are very effective (and surprisingly stinky)

http://www.amazon.com/Sulfuric-Liqui.../dp/B005E0N95Y

http://www.alpharubicon.com/kids/superdraino.htm

Nearly 30 years ago my dad helped me clear a clog with a product, as I
recall, named "Mule Kick".
I believe it was sulfuric acid based and it worked great but stunk up
the house.

cheers
Bob