Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steven Campbell Steven Campbell is offline

Default Simple butt hinge question

On 06/08/2012 11:05, harryagain wrote:
"Steven Campbell" no@thanks wrote in message
o.uk...
On 05/08/2012 15:30, Roger Mills wrote:
On 05/08/2012 14:11, Steven Campbell wrote:
I'm in the process of changing all my doors over and have been told by
the joiner to get hinges that are roughly 100x60.

Couple of questions.

Toolstation only list one of the dimension sizes on its hinges. I take
it they are proportionate so 100mm will be roughly 60mm on the opposite
plane?

I've never seen hinge dimensions expressed in that way - but only 3" or
4" hinges, etc.

I presume he means 100 x 60 when opened out flat - so 100 x ~30 when
folded? How thick are the doors? Obviously the 'half-hinge' mustn't be
any wider than the thickness of the door!

What size are the existing hinges? Can't they be transferred to the new
doors?

The doors are 35mm in depth.

Yes I don't want the hinges any wider than the door hence why do
Toolstation only give one specific dimension? Seems bizarre to me.

The existing hinges are probably okay apart from covered in layers of
paint and since the new doors are oak I'd rather start with an nice new
shiny set of hinges as well.

You might be better with stainless steel on oak. The tannins discolour brass
and steel.

Thanks guys for all the replies. Much appreciated.