Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Switch question ...

On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 09:58:46 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

On 05/08/2012 23:48, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 23:24:36 +0100, SteveW wrote:

On 05/08/2012 22:51, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 20:32:04 +0100, SteveW wrote:

On 05/08/2012 15:42, Roger Mills wrote:

On a similar subject, I'm looking for a single toggle switch with a
neon indicator which comes on in the ON position. [Obviously, I'd
have to supply it with a neutral as well as a live and switched
live].

I want it for my holiday flat, where the bathroom light switch is
wall-mounted *outside* the bathroom. The light is frequently left
on,
and a neon indicator would provide a reminder to turn it off. I
know I can get fused spur switches with indicators, but I don't
really want the fuse.

Any ideas?

Why not simply put a neon across the switch. Okay it'd be on when
the light was off and vice-versa, but that just helps you find the
switch in the dark. For UK switches, you can get a clear "base" that
sandwiches between the switch and it's back box, complete with two
neons, for this very purpose.

I was going to suggest that (we have one on the first light switch as
you enter the house).

But as a modification, if he's running a neutral to the switch, it
can go between switched line and neutral. A one-wire choccy block
will do the job.

If he just goes across the switch, he won't need to do any
modifications and run in a neutral though - I don't know how hard it
is for him to do that.

Yes, but the modification gives him what he originally wanted - the
neon lit when the switch is ON.

Yes indeed. I *don't* want the neon on when the light is off. I'm pretty
sure I've got two neutrals joined by a choccy connector (or even a crimp
maybe) in the back box - so providing a neutral won't be a problem.

I'd thought of getting a neon from Maplins and mounting it in the
switch, but I'd rather have something which looks as if it's meant to be
there.

I've just ordered one of these from Ebay, which seemed worth a punt for
a couple of quid including postage!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350530562491?

ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648

If that's no good[1], I'll go for one of the switches suggested by
Owain.

[1] There may be a reason why they're selling them off cheap!

I was referring to one of these - which can be fitted to the existing
switch.

http://tinyurl.com/c4vfndf

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK: