Posted to uk.d-i-y
AL_n AL_n is offline

Default Buying non-standard-sized windows & building regs.

The Natural Philosopher wrote in
:

2000 regs have a minimum openable area of .33 sq meter and no less than
450mm in any dimension (height or width)

I gather they also stipulate that this has to be measured at 90 degrees
from the fixed part of the window and unobstructed. The problem is, that
most PVC windows have travel-limiting hinges. Perhaps the special "fire
escape hinges" overcome this. From a practucal POV, I suppose a side-hung
opening section is going to be easier to escape through (when in a panic
situation) than a top-hung one. However, I live in an area prone to strong
winds, so I like the idea of top-hung windows, as they are (I guess) much
less likely to get caught and damaged by a ghust of strong wind.

I was thinking of oting for having the full are aof the window openable
(top hung). However, it occurs to me that this as a heavy openable section
that would put a lot of strain on the hinges, so pehaps having only half
the window openable would be wiser. Any comments, anyone?

I've noticed that on PVC windows, the hinges often fail long before the
rest of the window gives problems. Can anyone offer any advice on how to
recognise (before buying) hings systems that are likely to give premature
problems?

I am also trying to determine the current building regs for upstairs
windows in domestic dwellings, and their opening requirements. Can
anyone point me to the current regulations?

damn. I don't think they have changed but each room needs a window you
can get a fireman in and out of so to speak.

Do they mean a thin fireman or a fat fireman? (I'm thinking Stan Laurel vs.
Oliver Hardy...)

Al