Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick Odell Nick Odell is offline

Default Amish and OSB

On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 21:50:07 +0100, SteveW
wrote:

On 05/08/2012 21:32, Nick Odell wrote:
On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 19:51:55 +0100, SteveW
wrote:

On 04/08/2012 22:59, brass monkey wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
soup wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Happens with a power failure etc too, you can't do any work or
entertainment either.
And in that situation, at least I can read.

I tried reading by candlelight at the last power cut, I wish I had some
jelly to knit it would have been easier and less painful on the eyes.

I have a couple of rechargeable torches that are plugged into
the mains all the time and come on auto when the mains fails. They are
fine for reading by.

Blimey, it must happen a lot down there. All the powergen convicts go on
strike?

During the 70's and the regular powercuts due to strikes, we had a spare
car battery in the living room, along with a 12V lamp hung on the wall
and a 12V portable TV.

We'd just moved into our first house and after seeing to the
damp-proofing and the mains electrics were doing it up, room by room.
I took the opportunity to build in a 12v circuit with dual-voltage
caravan strip-light under the kitchen units and outlets for running
12v stuff off. We had a 12v B&W Indesit TV - ah: here it is:
http://tinyurl.com/d8yard9 Ours was White though.

Needless to say, once the 12v system was running sweetly, the power
cuts all stopped.

Nick

How long before they're back though?

Too true. Maybe I should go and ask the present owners if they'll sell
me my old house back again? Or start browsing caravanning magazines
before I buy the next one.

Nick