Roger Mills

Default halogen downlighters

"simon beer" wrote in message
Hi all, how easy is it to install halogen downlighters in an old lathe &
plaster ceiling? The wiring is not a problem, I can sort that, just a few
things that cross my mind when I think about them.
1. once I cut a hole for them the wood lathes will be unsupported, what to
do here?
2. will the old ceiling be to thick for them to sit in, I think they fix
using metal spring clip things.I fitted some eyeball lights in our last
house but this had plaster board ceiling.

Any other points to watch out for?

Also what are the advantages or disadvantages in fitting mains powered as
opposed to low voltage ones. These are to be fitted in the kitchen.
Many thanks

I wouldn't rate your chances of cutting neat holes in a lathe and plaster
ceiling - although others claim to have done it ok. There was a thread on
this a little while ago - a Google search might find it.

With regard to mains vs LV, there are two camps - with those in each camp
tending to have strong views about it.

I personally prefer LV - because you get more visible light per unit of
energy input and the bulbs last longer. The downside is that you need
separate transformers - and the cables between the transformers and the
lamps need to be short and fat - because they carry much higher currents,
and you can't afford any appreciable voltage drop.

Roger