Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts[_2_] Jeremy Nicoll - news posts[_2_] is offline

Default Switch question ...

Roger Mills wrote:

On a similar subject, I'm looking for a single toggle switch with a neon
indicator which comes on in the ON position. [Obviously, I'd have to
supply it with a neutral as well as a live and switched live].

I've got several of the 20A DP neon switches that other people have
suggested in use for this sort of thing.

I also have some instances of the sort of light switch where the whole
faceplate rocks back and forth (most of which I use as wall light-switches
that can be operated with an elbow while carrying something). I do however
use some elsewhere and for these in a couple of instances I wanted a neon
indicator (or two - in one case where the switch isn't being used for a wall
light, I wanted 2 neons; one illuminated when there is power to the switch
but the switched item is off, the other comes on when the switched item has
power).

In these cases the tilting switch is mounted on a shallow (eg 16mm) plastic
back box. I drilled the edge of the back box and fitted one or two of
Maplin's "miniature round panel neon" indicators - see:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/home-and-diy/bulbs/neon-lamps

To use these you do need to be able to solder fairly fine wires to the
connectors on the backs of the lamps. I normally put heat-shrink tubing
over the connections as well, to insulate them, and one has to do that
carefully if you still want to be able to thread the lamp & wires through
the 7mm diameter hole in the edge of the mounting box and still be able to
thread the fixing nut onto the lamp - it's fiddly...

to replacing "aaa" by "284".