Posted to uk.d-i-y
geoff geoff is offline

Default OT Olympic football

In message , T i m
writes
On Sun, 5 Aug 2012 16:49:58 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message , T i m
writes
On Sun, 5 Aug 2012 16:11:48 +0100, geoff wrote:

p.s. Geoff, can you recommend a CH flushing fluid please (knowing your
chemicals connections). (All copper pipe / HE, CI rads, old install)

Phone Kamco up and ask them, they're in Park Street. I would expect them
to suggest (and flog you) FX2

Ok, will do, thanks. ;-)

http://www.kamco.co.uk/

Quick Q

are you descaling or desludging?

They'll need to know that

I'm not sure, yet. It's an old ex fully gravity system with many large
bore pipes and small cast iron (solid panel) rads. There is a thought
that there could be some furring in the boiler but because of how
quiet it is I'm not sure that's the case. However, as it's all been
disturbed (new cylinder) I thought it 'might' be worth flushing it
though with something that might give it a bit of a clean out
(anyway).

I think I've located a new replacement overheat stat and when that's
fitted I'll know better if there is a restriction somewhere or not.

Once proved ok, I was going to give it all a flush and run up in any
case but won't if there is no good reason to (the chemical flush bit,
like, it might show up weaknesses etc)?

The last time the heating was used I believe all the rads heated up ok
(because it looks like it was originally designed properly you don't
even seem to need to bleed the rads (and all horizontal pipes in the
loft seem to fall away from the header etc)).

Check the rads to see if the bottoms are cold when the top is hot, i.e
they are sludged up

descaling/ defurring removes limescale build up

--
geoff