Posted to uk.d-i-y
AL_n AL_n is offline

Default Buying non-standard-sized windows & building regs.

Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote
in nvalid:

In Scotland at least, you're required to be able to clean the outside
of all windows from the inside of the house (whether you employ a
window cleaner or not).

Top hung windows which have a hinge at the top of the frame will not
allow that, though you might get away with the ones where the opening
portion moves out & down (because someone could reach out over the top
of the moving part). I have a feeling that that's disallowed too if
someone would have to stand on a chair or something to do it.

That's interesting. I'm glad we don't have that particular rule in England.
However, now you mention it, being able to clean the outside of all the
glass from the inside does sound like an advantage. Of course, the degree
to which it can be done, with various window types, depends on the tools
one is using. (long-handled ones are going to reach further, etc.)

Al