Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Firegeek Firegeek is offline

Default 1960's "Lampette E-6" Telescoping Desk Lamp

Hi All,

Does anyone here have any experience repairing 1960's vintage "Lampette E-6" desk lamps (like the one pictured at: http://www.whitetrashnyc.com/product...task-lamp/896/ )?

I have two of these lamps. One works well, but the other one only lights intermittently because of what surely seems to be a problem in the telescoping arm mechanism. Specifically, it only lights when I apply tension to the first (lowest) moveable telescope segment, and only then when the arm is no more than about 30 degrees from the horizontal. There are a couple of millimeters of "backlash" in that lowest segment of the faulty lamp that isn't evident in the one that works well.

I think I could probably figure out and fix whatever the problem is, if I felt like I could open up the telescoping mechanism without more or less destroying it. In general it doesn't appear that these lamps were designed to be serviced -- their assembly seems to have been something of a "one-way" operation. I've managed to get the base open by prying off the aluminum bezel at the bottom, and I've managed to get the arm disconnected from the plastic case. But that's where I'm stalled.

Anyone been down this road already?

Thanks,

Michael