Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Is there anyone other than me that is proud of this country?

On Sun, 5 Aug 2012 15:40:02 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

I'd keep kicking myself for wasting any time at all at something like
that, looking at fools that had mostly spent a significant part of their
pathetically inadequate 'lives' qualifying to even show up there.

I wouldn't put it quite like that as I think it's up to each person to
decide and do what they want, what they have to, what they like or
what they are good at, even if that means just staring at the moon.

I think the whole thought of putting up something like the Olympics is
all a bit bizarre. What actually is it? It's a competition between a
tiny minority of the population who are interested in those particular
things and can be bothered (or get the opportunity) to do it (and as
you say, 'dedicate their lives to it' in many cases). So?

Fact, for every_single_sport, there *will* be someone out there who
could be better.

And what is the difference between 'The Olympics' and 'Guinness World
Records'? Why is running 100m any more of a 'life achievement than
throwing the most ovens in one minute or rolling up the most frying
pans?

There are those things of course that do relate to the real world.
Like if you can throw a spear a long way and keep it accurate you are
more likely to bring home the bacon than the next guy but what if the
next guy is 'better' at starting a fire to cook it on? Do they also
hold 'championships for that? Why shouldn't those people also be
recognised? How many of us could be 'champions' at cutting in a metal
back box into a brick wall? Why shouldn't skills, honed over decades
also be recognised thus?

And that brings me back to the fact that we seem to become 'fanatical'
with our 'support' for these 'athletes' whilst (probably, for many at
least (but not here of course g)) completely forgetting all those
'firelighters' not only just doing their jobs every day but *actually*
doing something that helps others and is needed (and I guess that's
why as abstract as it was, mentioning the likes of the NHS in the
opening ceremony was a 'good thing'). Does it really bring people
together? Are community's going to unite after the games and continue
the 'Olympic spirit ... ?

I get it ... I get it in that I understand how and why we have come to
do what we do with the likes of the Olympics but I don't get it as in
the fundamental desire to. I guess I don't get the point or the hype.

Isn't watching someone row 100m like watching someone row 100 virtual
m in a gym? I'm sure you can race these gym rowing machines these days
so shouldn't it be on telly? And why would you want to watch someone
doing that sort of thing in any case? I love rowing but I have no
interest watching someone else doing it? But then I don't watch /
follow any competitions at anything. I compete (so I get that bit),
but I don't watch others competing. Ok, I guess it's also 'good' for
England that we gave done well, but who actually cares? What are we
(as in England) going to get now because of it ...[2] both the country
and the citizens? Or do you have to have this tribal / gang thing
within before you can have a 'side' and then support it? [1]

Maybe that's where we all obese these days, we count watching someone
else exercise as exercising (when we say we are 'into sport')?

So, whilst I can see there can be some good come out of such a
spectacle, if it actually encourages people to go out for a run, or
get their bike out etc but to have this 'dream' of being the best at
'hop, skip and jump' ... "from when I was 7" ... really? Especially
when you will never know if you really were the best in any case ... ?

Oh well, it will soon all be over and I can turn the tell back on
again. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

[1] I do 'get' fun / amateur competition. Jumpers for goalposts, a
round of golf with your mates or even a game of darts down the pub. I
guess for me it's when people take that and turn what is only / ever
'a game', 'a sport' and mutate it into something bigger than it really
should be (IMHO of course).

[2] Personally, I would much rather they spent the same money they
spent The Olympics, opening up our existing waterways across the
country and providing facility's for *everyone* to actually go out and
do this stuff. Not just those who happen to stumble into it but give
everyone a chance to not just give it a go but to be able to carry on
doing so (free / cheap) if they so choose. We don't need one
velodrome, we need thousands of miles of cycle paths and good bikes to
ride on them. We don't want a huge sports stadium we want free gyms
across the country. With limited cash, we all need better facilitieS,
not a great facilitY.

(Sorry about that. I feel better now). ;-)