Posted to alt.home.repair
Ashton Crusher[_2_] Ashton Crusher[_2_] is offline

Default What is the Exhaust control for on Air Conditioner?

On Sat, 04 Aug 2012 07:32:49 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Sat, 04 Aug 2012 04:35:40 -0500, wrote:

It's an older Westinghouse window A.C. Besides the temperature control,
HI - LOW - OFF and Automatic Fan controls, it has this lever that says
Exhaust OPEN - CLOSED. With the front panel removed, I can see it flips
open a small door inside the unit.

My question is what is that for, or what does it do? I guessed that it
would take some of the indoor air and blow it outside with that lever
set to OPEN. I held a cigarette near it with it set both ways and
pretty much could not notice much difference. The smoke just scattered
around the room from the fan. So what is it for?

According to an engineer from Frigidaire, it is there because they can
say they have another "feature" that the competition may or may not
have. Useless as far as real life use. It is supposed to exhaust some
of the indoor air so fresh air can be drawn in. A few years back, my
company made the part with the vent opening. Laughable really, but on
a comparison chart, they had another check mark.

To get the most cooling and least energy usage, is it better to leave it
open or closed?

Closed.

I've stayed in many motels over the years that had the knob for
Exhaust - Open/Closed and most of them took the knob off presumably to
make sure no one put it in the open position and used an extra 3 cents
worth of electricity.