Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG[_2_] DanG[_2_] is offline

Default Electrical - Is this legal to code?

On 8/4/2012 5:54 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 04 Aug 2012 15:23:44 -0400, RBM wrote:

On 8/4/2012 2:12 PM,
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 04 Aug 2012 12:28:51 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 8/4/2012 11:52 AM, bud-- wrote:

'Ordinary' wall switches are designed to be used at their rated current.
They can be used at 80% of their rating to switch motors (404.14-A-3). A
20A switch is good enough. It can switch a motor rated 16A. I might use
a spec grade switch. (That is for a switch rated AC only, which is
probably all you can find anyway. An AC/DC rated switch is a little
different.)

Which is true, but the point here isn't that they're going to be
switching loads anyways...there are switches on the tools for that.

Receptacles need to be GFCI protected.

That's the one I tend to choose to ignore...

Why?

Because the failure rate is too high. I see no point to having things
like sump pumps protected by GF devices. IMO a properly grounded,
dedicated single receptacle should suffice, but the Nec no longer has
any exceptions for GF locations

I would have agreed with you ten-fifteen years ago but they're pretty good,
now. A sump pump, likely not. But there is no reason to avoid them for any
other application. Grounding does *not* do the same job.

Tell that to my friend that just lost a freezer full of groceries. GFI
had tripped with no apparent symptoms before or after.

--

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven