Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default No inside access to ground floor in Outer Banks, NC vacation home?

On Aug 4, 6:10*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
So here I am vacationing on the Outer Banks, NC in a rental house. *Don't
hate me! ;-)

Typical of most houses in the area, it is built up on 6 x 6 posts to
protect the living area against flooding. This house also happens to have
the ground floor enclosed and appears to include a garage.

I say "appears to" because I see a garage door as well as an entry door on
the ground floor, but the keys they gave us don't open the ground floor
door so I don't know what's behind the garage door.

Now, I've explored every inch of the 1st floor living area and can find no
access to the ground floor. There's no staircase hidden behind any door
that would lead down to the ground floor. I checked every closet, hallway,
etc.

The only possibility is a small room with a stacked washer and dryer off of
the kitchen that might have lead to a staircase but based on the layout of
the bathroom behind it, I'm not sure a staircase would have even fit there.

OK, so here's my question...

Is it typical of these types of flood safe houses not to have access to the
ground floor from inside the upper ("1st") floor or is it because this
house is (maybe was built to be?) a vacation rental?

probably a bit of both........