Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Electrical - Is this legal to code?

On 8/4/2012 11:52 AM, bud-- wrote:

'Ordinary' wall switches are designed to be used at their rated current.
They can be used at 80% of their rating to switch motors (404.14-A-3). A
20A switch is good enough. It can switch a motor rated 16A. I might use
a spec grade switch. (That is for a switch rated AC only, which is
probably all you can find anyway. An AC/DC rated switch is a little
different.)

Which is true, but the point here isn't that they're going to be
switching loads anyways...there are switches on the tools for that.

Receptacles need to be GFCI protected.

That's the one I tend to choose to ignore...