Ben Blaukopf

Default Diagnosing/repairing an oven

I've been given a built in oven (electric). I wired it up last night, turned
it on,
and promptly tripped the RCB for the flat. It now appears to be electrically
dead - that is, supplying it with power doesn't even trip anything. Which
suggests
the fault lies there. The switch unit on the wall still provides power out
of the
socket, so I'm assuming I haven't blown anything there (does a cooker unit
have
its own fuse?). It is, of course, on its own 30A circuit

The oven is a white double oven Ariston TC714. I don't have a manual for it,
nor
can I find any information on the web about it. Nor can I find anything
useful about
oven repair (except for microwaves!).

The only possibility that has occurred to me is that when the oven was
removed from
the old kitchen (not by me) someone dropped something - e.g. a screw in it,
thereby
shorting it. I know nothing about the workings of an oven. I am happy to go
prodding
with a voltmeter though, if someone can suggest where to look.

Any help/pointers very welcome,

TIA

Ben