Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default Buying non-standard-sized windows & building regs.

AL_n wrote:
I need to buy three non-standard sized (960mm x 1290mm) replacement
windows for my house. Can anyone recommend a good-value supplier?

There's no such thing as 'standard size' any more - they did used to be
brick sized, IE the width of several brick's lengths, so that there's not
quarter or thirds of bricks up each side of the reveal, these aren't
required any more as you can fit a pvc frame in an opening that is 6 inches
larger in both dimensions just by adding pvc 'knock ons' all around

I may opt for upvc or timber, depending on cost.

Timber is more expensive than pvc, especially once you add on the units,
which are included in the pvc price

I am also trying to determine the current building regs for upstairs
windows in domestic dwellings, and their opening requirements. Can
anyone point me to the current regulations?

If the bottom of the glass (not the frame) is below 800mm from floor, it
needs to be toughened.
Fire escapes are reccomended, you need at least one on each floor and they
don't charge much extra for them...best idea is to ring up or nip and see a
local window manufacturer and explain, take the sizes of the openings and
they will quote you there and then and show you examples of obscure glass
(if required) and cross sections of the frames