Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Buying non-standard-sized windows & building regs.

On 04/08/2012 10:16, tim..... wrote:
"AL_n" wrote in message ...

I need to buy three non-standard sized (960mm x 1290mm) replacement windows
for my house. Can anyone recommend a good-value supplier?

I may opt for upvc or timber, depending on cost.

I am also trying to determine the current building regs for upstairs
windows in domestic dwellings, and their opening requirements. Can anyone
point me to the current regulations?

If they are bedrooms they need to be "escapable through" (with the
assumption that there is something safe on the other side to escape into)

tim

That is certainly the case for new windows - i.e. for new build or
extensions - but are you sure that it also applies to *replacement*
windows, where you are simply replacing one window with another? I have
several small upstairs windows which couldn't possibly comply with that
without making the aperture in the brickwork much larger!
--
Cheers,
Roger