Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Buying non-standard-sized windows & building regs.

AL_n wrote:

Thank you for the great input. I'm now inclined to opt for having the
full window area openable (top hung), to allow an uninterrupted view.

As this type costs about the same as a window that is only half-opening,
I'm surprised more people don't opt for this type. Are there any
disadvantages to having the full (1m x 1m approx) openable?

well the stays can get a bit large. But a lot of modern windows ate
hinged part way down I suppose so that you can restruct the opening a bit..

I always prefer side hung that can b opened a little for ventilation or
in an emergency, sofd the stay and open wide!

As with all these things, find a good local company and listen to what
they say.

Only one thing is clear, the worst people to buy windows from are double
glazing companies.

and how hard it is to achieve it.