Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default New lawn-mower

On Fri, 03 Aug 2012 18:14:50 +0100, rbel wrote:

On Fri, 3 Aug 2012 09:47:24 +0100, PeterC
wrote:

Seems that the Bosch electric mower has emitted a few too many sparks. I
might be able to fix it, but just in case I can't I'm considering buying a
petrol mower before I need to hire a combine harvester!

Looking at various models, most seem to be very loud - about 96dB, so are
there any less loud ones?
I don't want self-propelled as the grass (about 250 sq. m) is in 5 parts and
rather, er, 'complex'.
The electric Bosch cuts almost right up to an edge - wall or path - and I'd
like one that does the same, if petrol ones can.
Also don't want too big; this leads to the old problem of smaller machines
lacking abilities as they are seen as 'cheap', so 40cm would be tops I
guess.

What seems to be a good make, reliable and has a reasonable warranty? Up to
a sensible limit I don't mind how much I spend gulp.

I have a Honda Izy - self propelled but they are available in push
versions - and the documented dB is 94. It has been very reliable
throughout the last ten years, but it, like all other domestic,
wheeled, petrol rotary will not mow right up to the edge. Because the
lack of this facility was beginning to irritate me earlier this year I
contacted Honda and Hayter to ask if they were intending to rectify
this shortcoming in the foreseeable future and was told that current
design constraints did not allow for cutting heads to be wider than
the wheel tracks. I ended up buying a good Stihl rechargeable
strimmer for edging.

Honda could do the same as Bosch then - make the wheel track narroer than
the cutter ;-)
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away