Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default New lawn-mower

On Fri, 03 Aug 2012 13:31:12 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

PeterC wrote:
Seems that the Bosch electric mower has emitted a few too many sparks. I
might be able to fix it, but just in case I can't I'm considering buying a
petrol mower before I need to hire a combine harvester!

Looking at various models, most seem to be very loud - about 96dB, so are
there any less loud ones?
I don't want self-propelled as the grass (about 250 sq. m) is in 5 parts and
rather, er, 'complex'.
The electric Bosch cuts almost right up to an edge - wall or path - and I'd
like one that does the same, if petrol ones can.
Also don't want too big; this leads to the old problem of smaller machines
lacking abilities as they are seen as 'cheap', so 40cm would be tops I
guess.

What seems to be a good make, reliable and has a reasonable warranty? Up to
a sensible limit I don't mind how much I spend gulp.

If you have a small area and don't mind a simple rotary you can have my
old hayterette. its a rotary on wheels and still goes well - but needs
new cutting disk fitted as it eaten one too many stones in the last 14
years.

You have to raise it up on its back wheels and lower it onto really long
stuff tho or it stalls. Only a 3.5bhp B & S in it.

Better made than modern ones.

Thanks TNP. If circumstances were different I'd be very interested - I like
older machines and working on them.
It's a bit far from Norfolk(?) to Northampton; my neighbour is not
mechanically minded (she's OK just using machines and likes them); most
importantly I want to replace the Bosch quickly so that she has a mower as
I'm due for cardioversion at the end of next week and I might be making the
grass grow even more quickly!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away