Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Autonomous braking system to be required

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Auto makers put the EDR's in cars for their own purposes, not
because such was legislated and certainly not at the behest of the
insurance companies. It was the trial/plaintiff legal community that
glommed on to the EDR data.

As for EDR's being a tool of the insurance companies, I suspect that
an EDR helps an insurance company about as often as it hurts. In a
collision, for example, a State Farm policy holder may be at fault
when he hits an Allstate policy holder. In the next accident, the
blame is reversed. In the big picture, the contents of an EDR is
proabably a wash as far as insurance goes.

Except that if they show blame, the insurance company doesn't get the
deductible from both parties. If they can pin some responsibility on
each, they get the deductible.

You've got a good point. Still, I think the expense of subpoenaing the
device, removing it from the wrecked car, having it read and decoded by an
expert, and so on, would be more expensive than a $500 or $1000
deductable...