Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Fender Bassman 250 , PR597, 2005

snip

An aside , why 2x 10 inch speakers for a bass amp?

Personal taste. Some people prefer the sound of 10's than 12's or
15's.
There are many many different styles of bass playing out there.

It is often said that 10's are more punchy - i.e. have faster dynamics
than 15's due to the smaller motor mass to be moved - but in my
experience, what many of us have believed for decades often turns out to
be an urban myth.

Gareth.

Slap bass and popping are much more 'percussive' than conventional
fingered bass playing, and I would guess that the stiffness and lower
cone mass of a pair of 10s over 12s, 15s or 18s, might better suit this
style of playing.

Arfa

I was kind of thinking that good quality 15's and 18's for bass guitar
cabs are often specifically designed for Bass Guitar. You wouldn't just
stick a PA speaker in there for instance, so maybe these are, or can be
made, to be just as punchy?

Dunno, I'm talking about something I don't know enough about.

Gareth.

Most bass combos that I seem to come across, are quite 'boomy' with their
12s or 15s, so probably well suited to normal fingered bass playing, which
has a softer more 'roly' characteristic.

I did a different model of Fender Bassman combo this week that was a tube
job, and this one had 4 x 10" all in parallel

Arfa