Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Callin' the Haul-Away guys...

On 8/3/2012 11:27 AM, John Albert wrote:
Hello all -

I'm in Western Connecticut. I have a bunch of junk appliances (and other
items) that I need to get rid of.

Nearby, there is a privately-run (but city sponsored) recycling center
that accepts things like appliances, tvs, etc. They have a "rate
schedule" for individual items, such as:
tv - $15
air conditioner - $25
washer or dryer - $20
You get the idea.

But I have several tvs, a large old freezer, couple of air conditioners,
washer, dryer, dishwasher, and more. And no way to move the larger items
by myself.

I probably need to call the "haul-away guys".

But I was wondering what they cost?
Do they charge by the hour, by "the item"?

Will I pay $300? 600? $1,000?
Plus the "disposal fees" on top of that?

Any other way I may be overlooking to get rid of old appliances?

Would it be more economical to rent a van, hire a friend, pay the
recycle fees, and do the hauling myself?

Thanks,
- John

Out of curiosity how did you end up with all of that stuff? Every time
we have appliances like washers/dryers/refrigerators delivered they
always include hauling the old ones away.

For TVs etc keep your eye open for electronic recycling events.