Posted to alt.home.repair
Jon Danniken[_7_] Jon Danniken[_7_] is offline

Default Callin' the Haul-Away guys...

On 08/03/2012 08:27 AM, John Albert wrote:
Hello all -

I'm in Western Connecticut. I have a bunch of junk appliances (and other
items) that I need to get rid of.

Nearby, there is a privately-run (but city sponsored) recycling center
that accepts things like appliances, tvs, etc. They have a "rate
schedule" for individual items, such as:
tv - $15
air conditioner - $25
washer or dryer - $20
You get the idea.

But I have several tvs, a large old freezer, couple of air conditioners,
washer, dryer, dishwasher, and more. And no way to move the larger items
by myself.

We can recycle TV's free at the municipal center here, and the local
thrift store takes AC units for free (I'm guessing they scavenge out the
metal from non-working units to make up the cost of processing them).

The county dump does charge for major appliances (washer/driers), but
that is only due to their bulk (if you dismantle them and
collapse/compress the exteriors, there is no fee).

If you are trying to save a few bucks you might try calling around; some
of the thrift stores might even come and pick some of the items up.

Jon