Posted to alt.home.repair
gpsman gpsman is offline

Default Autonomous braking system to be required

On Aug 2, 9:38*pm, "
wrote:
On Thu, 02 Aug 2012 21:20:41 -0400, homme de la maison
wrote:
On 08/02/2012 08:54 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 02 Aug 2012 20:50:33 -0400, homme de la maison
wrote:

Considering that most "drivers" are busy texting, sexting, blogging,
twittering, chatting, updating Fecesbook or applying makeup, maybe this
is actually a good idea.

Most? *Citation needed for that story, mommy.

Pull your head out of your ass and look around...you'll see what I mean.

I repeat, most? *You're going to need some proof for such a wild assertion.

Proof the average motorist is not fully engaged in the driving task is
easily.... well, you can't ****ing miss it unless you have no idea of
what constitutes the task of "driving", the chance of which is far
greater than very likely.

All one must do to confirm this fact is note/recall their own internal
monologue the next/last time they motored.

It takes effort to concentrate on driving and take and maintain
"conscious control of the attentional spotlight". "I've got to get in
front of that truck" and "What's going to happen when I'm late this
time", etc., do not qualify as "driving-related" thought.

Then there are statistics: ~200M motorists -report to police- 6M
crashes per year.
http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/policyinform...021/fig4_3.cfm
http://exchange.aaa.com/safety/roadway-safety/

"The societal cost of crashes is a staggering $164.2 billion annually,
nearly two and a half times greater than the $67.6 billion price tag
for congestion, according to a new report released today by AAA."
http://newsroom.aaa.com/2008/03/cras...st-to-society/

"In 2000, 5,211 people were killed and about 140,000 injured in
crashes involving large trucks, according to AAA's Foundation for
Traffic Safety, which analyzed 10,000 fatal car-truck accidents.

" Car drivers were to blame in 75 percent of the accidents, while
truckers were deemed responsible in the rest."
http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=1...1#.UBvMdPV_Wuk
-----

- gpsman