Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
anorton anorton is offline

Default LED dimmer

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
... Could I put them on a rheostat so that I could dim them down?

Yes. Do you know how much current they use? How many are there? Run on
12v, I assume.

Actually, it will not necessarily work. It depends on how the current is
regulated to the LED. If these are meant to be energy efficient, they will
have a constant current driver. Reduce the supply voltage a small amount
will not effect the current to the LED. Reducing the supply voltage below a
certain threshold will make the driver work erratically and it may even
increase the current to the LED. In this case you would have to open up
the unit and install the pot In parallel between the driver and LED and
accept efficiency losses when dimmed.

If the LED fixtures are cheap and not made for efficiency, they will simply
have a resistor in series with the LED to limit the maximum current at any
given voltage. In that case reducing the supply voltage will dim the LED.