Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] Winston@BigBrother.net is offline

Default Headband eyeglasses?

Ecnerwal wrote:
In ,
t wrote:

I'm assembling a little metal thing under a microscope right now.

It's very time-consuming, switching between eyeglasses for reading
documentation and bare eyeballs for using the microscope.

I honestly can't see why it would be "very time-consuming", since I do
this sort of thing. Just park the glasses, not folded, in a consistent
location near the scope that's not in the way of your arms, and pop them
on when you get off the scope - takes me less than a second.

Bench space is at a premium, so I've recently taken to parking my specs
on my bald spot so I can lean over the microscope. As you imply, it is
faster than putting them anywhere else, but I still would like to
be able to ungoggle and goggle in milliseconds, not two or more seconds.

This assembly uses about 100 pieces so I really want to save a lot
of my "prime time".

Most glasses only "flip" the lenses up (you can search on that) and you
still have the frames, which in most cases will interfere with the
microscope eyepieces.

I concur.

You could get long, straight (bayonet?) temples for sliding the whole
frame up your head if you preferred. My headshape at least does not do a
great job of this with normal behind the ear temples. Or put a
cord/chain on the temples and drop them on your chest.

An alligator clip jumper on the back of the temples and draped down
my back counter-balances my specs when perched on the rear top of my head.
It's much faster than anything else I've tried, but I'm convinced it could
be faster still, given the cumulative nature of the delay.

There are various spendy options as well, with various tradeoffs, that
might let you use your reading glasses on the scope or scope equivalent.
The video-microscope is usually cheapest (may be free if you already own
a video camera with macro abilities, though it sounds like you really
need a microscope video eyepiece adapter rather than a macro lens), but
it has the "not stereo" disadvantage.

That might work. Thanks!

--Winston