Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
legg legg is offline

Default Harman Kardon FM100 - early version? - Harman-Kardon Model FM-100 Centerpoint.pdf (0/1)

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 23:59:10 -0500, flipper wrote:

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 13:59:54 -0500, legg wrote:

I'm working on a Harman Kardon FM100 "Counterpoint II" that shows
signifigant variations, internally, from the documentation provided by
SAM's HF3 repair and servicing manual, or other references searchable
on the web.

Well, I can really answer why it's broke but some general
observations.

For a start, the valve pins are reversed, by section, in V1 and V2,
from the SAM's schematic. The tube sections are swapped - confusing,
but not a biggy. Second, the tube types differ from SAM's and all
other references.

Can you find a manufacture date on it? The SAMS may be the 'original'
version and they couldn't know what would be done 'later'. Or you may
have a 'pre-production' unit.

The board art itself is copyright 1956.

Anecdotal info suggests that ECC85 (6AQ8) was developed and marketed
after ECC81/12AT7, and that ECC85 was developed specifically for VHF
input/oscillator combinations. An improved inter-device screen
supposedly reduced oscillator stage radiation. This isn't an
input/oscillator schematic application, in any event, it's an
input/mixer combo - same difference? Not sure what 6BK7A does that's
special or not except for the biasing differences.

1) V1 dual triode in the RF amp and mixer stage are the older
6AQ8/ECC81, rather than the later 6BK7A/ECC83 expected in the SAM's
schematic and listed in other web references.

The two are listed as 'substitutes' for each other but I do think the
6BK7 is 'preferred'. Both should work

I got this a little bassackwards in my description. 6AQ8/ECC85 (!!) is
used in the documented 12AT7/ECC81 (!!) and 6BK7 positions, for the
functions noted.

The newer part suggests a later rev. If it's an early one, perhaps
they dumped the 6AQ8 because of higher cost or poor availability.

2) V2 dual triode in the AFC and oscillator sections is 6AQ8/ECC81
rather than the 12AT7 expected in the SAM's schematic and web