Posted to rec.woodworking
TWayne TWayne is offline

Default Comparison

Sounds like you aren't using it its designed purpose and probably only need
the cheapo blades. Higher cost does NOT necessarily indicate better quality
first, but instead special uses.

In ,
Dr. Deb typed:
Some time ago I asked if any of you were in a position to
try a comparison between the Forrest WoodWorker II and
the Harbor Frieght blade (SKU 46231)

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-inch...-bevel-design-
novelty-combo-blade-46231.html

Harbor Freight having the reputation they do for selling
cheap tools, I got no takers, and was not overly
surprised.

SWMBO, gave me a "US Grant" for Father's Day and I put it
back in the deepest recesses of the wallet. Finally, I
decided to take the plunge and buy a Forrest WoodWorker
II (40tooth, 1/8" kerf). So shopping around I found it
on Amazon for $107.00 and hit the "Order" button. The
package arrived today and, of course, I had to check it
out.

After peeling the protective coating off it, I mounted it
in my Ridgid 3650 tablesaw and made a couple of test
cuts. I stepped back, scratched my head and said,
"Hmmmmmm." So, I got a fresh HF 46231, mounted it and
made a couple of test cuts. Then I remounted the Forrest
WWII, got a 7/4 piece of Southern Red Oak and did an an
crosscut and an rip cut. Swapped out the Forrest for the
HF blade and made the crosscut and rip on the other end
and side of the same pieces of red oad.

Bottom line, the Forrest is going back. There was very
little, if any noticable difference. If there was a
difference the HF blade gave the better cut. On the
first pass in the rip cut with the Forrest, I noticed a
tooth mark, rather severe, so I moved the rip fence over
1/4" and recut. It had the same thing, in the same
place.

The HF blade is only C3, so it will need to be sharpened
a bit more often, but at $19.50, you can almost get a new
blade rather than have it sharpened.

To be very honest, I was extremely surprised. But, it is
what it is.

As a disclaimer, the ONLY HF blade I would use is the
46231. My bandsaw blades are Woodslicers, my router bits
are all name brand. In other words, I do want quality.

What I would really like to see is a lab test between
these two. But for my test, on my saw, in my shop, there
is no justification in paying six times the cost of the
HF for the Forrest.

Deb