Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Refurbished laptops with office software

John Rumm wrote:
On 01/08/2012 14:34, Bill wrote:

Someone has sent me this question

"Do you have any sources who could source 25 very simple
reconditioned heavy laptops which could run from a wireless network and
run only word, excel and powerpoint?"

I assume he wants the machines to come with the Microsoft applications
and licences, and I assume the "heavy" is to make walking more difficult.

I would say your chances of finding that quantity of laptops in the
configuration you want is slim. Most companies that are of sufficent
size to offload that many at a time are probably also MS volume
licensing customers. Hence any machines they lob out probably come with
no software at all, or perhaps just a windows license.

and go straight to the crusher as well.

They like the write down to offset against tax.

Has anyone any recommendations or other suggestions? I think it's
probably for a school or youth association.

Reasonable spec second hand desktop machines would be much easier to
come by in with software. However you may not be able to acquire that
quantity at a time. (we sometimes get reasonable spec second hand stuff
in, but typically no more than 4 or 5 systems at a time). It might be
worth seeing if you have a local IT support company that deals mainly
with local small and medium sized businesses, and ask them to let you
know when one of their clients is upgrading.

and how hard it is to achieve it.