Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default What could possibly be under stucco that can't be drilled through

Vinny P. wrote:
I mounted an 802.11 WiFi antenna and was dismayed to find two drill
bits dulled (I don't think I've dulled more than that in my entire
life) just trying to drill an inch through stucco to mount an antenna.

There is 'something' as hard as a steel beam one inch under the stucco
near the roofline that just can't be drilled through.

What could possibly be there (in the wall?)?

The reason I ask is I have to replace the flimsy mounting arm with a
stronger one from a Dish TV installation - so I'm going to have the
problem again.

I'll choose a new location - but I don't have much choice within a few
feet given I need line of sight to the WISP access point.

What could it be that is hard as steel one inch below the stucco?

Stucco will probaly dull a steel dril bit all by itself. A masonry bit will do
much better on the stucco, but won't touch steel if you hit that.