Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PrecisionmachinisT PrecisionmachinisT is offline

Default Why hasn't the NRA stepped up and paid the hospital bills oftheColoradoshooting victums?

"John B." wrote in message ...
On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 16:16:00 -0700, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

It's commonly called a "clip" because it "clips" into place...

Hardly. It is called a clip because that was a device used to load a
rifle up through WW II and out of date terms are frequently used long
after they have been replaced by more accurate or descriptive terms.

Your ability to recall arkane trivia that is unlikely to prove useful for anything other than demonstrating your ability to recall useless trivia on usenet is truly amazing.

The term "magazine" in and of itself does not necessarily imply something that can be quickly separated from the rifle for reloading...for instance, instead of having a clip; pump shotguns, lever action and most bolt action-type rifles generally will have a tubular type magazine which, for all practical purposes; is permanently attached..

And FWIW, when *I* was in the military, range officers used the term "clip" almost exclusively.

So? I was in the Service for a while and heard people using terms that
were incorrect - bullet for cartridge, motor for engine, six-by for
truck, Tug for tractor (used to tow airplanes), "Leg" or "Straight
Leg" for common infantry, and on and on. Hardly proof that any of the
terms were correct.

Except, I never made any claims about the "techinical correctness" of the term "clip" either way...

http://thesaurus.com/browse/liberal