Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default Chimney breast removal

"Phil L" wrote in message
dennis@home wrote:
"Phil L" wrote in message
dennis@home wrote:

tell that to my dads next door neighbour.
They decided to take the fire place out and started at the bottom.
They had the whole concrete lining and the outer chimney fall in.
None of it was tied into the external wall and it was completely
free standing.

Never heard of a concrete liner in a chimney, nor have I ever seen a
chimney breast in 30 years of working in old houses that wasn't
keyed in to the wall it was built against.

Must be a regional thing as I've only really worked in a hundred mile
radius of Manchester.

I doubt it.
The chimney was two concentric rings made from concrete.
They rested on a concrete slab supported above the fire place by low
walls of some kind.
The whole lot ended up in the living room having demolished the wall
built to hide it.

It was a smiths house BTW, you don't tie anything to the walls or
they fall down.

I see.
So it wasn't a chimney breast then, it was a fake wall hiding a concrete
tube which was being used as a chimney.
I thought we were talking about brick built chimney breasts.

The bloke doing it probably thought the same.