Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] recyclebinned@gmail.com is offline

Default What could possibly be under stucco that can't be drilled through

On Tuesday, July 31, 2012 8:53:32 AM UTC-7, Vinny P. wrote:
I mounted an 802.11 WiFi antenna and was dismayed to find two drill bits

dulled (I don't think I've dulled more than that in my entire life) just

trying to drill an inch through stucco to mount an antenna.

There is 'something' as hard as a steel beam one inch under the stucco

near the roofline that just can't be drilled through.

What could possibly be there (in the wall?)?

The reason I ask is I have to replace the flimsy mounting arm with a

stronger one from a Dish TV installation - so I'm going to have the

problem again.

I'll choose a new location - but I don't have much choice within a few

feet given I need line of sight to the WISP access point.

What could it be that is hard as steel one inch below the stucco?

1.Try a better quality drill bit and don’t let it get hot which is very easy to do when it’s covered in stucco. Pull it out frequently and dip it in water when it’s still warm before it gets hot.
2. Make sure you don’t have anything like a gas, water or electrical line under that steel or you may get a big surprise when you finally drill through it. I know I have had some surprises like that.