Posted to alt.internet.wireless,alt.home.repair

Default Please help me interpret noise in the Santa Cruz mountains (roughly -75dBm across the 2.4GHz spectrum)

On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 07:31:40 +0000 (UTC), "Vinny P."
wrote:

The antenna is on a cantilevered mounting arm screwed into the outside
wall of the house under the roofline.
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/8864332.jpg

Looking at the data sheet, it appears that you're looking at about a
10 degree beamwidth:
http://www.ubnt.com/downloads/datasheets/nanobridgem/nbm_ds_web.pdf
Take a protractor and a piece of paper and draw 10 degree angle.
That's your alignment accuracy. Trying to bore sight aim that antenna
is not going to work. You'll have to rock it back and forth to find
the maximum signal point. From the screen shots you've posted, I
don't think your antenna is aimed at their AP.

Looks like you have it mounted vertically polarized. Is that what
RidgeWireless is using?

Note: I tried four times to drill deeper holes but there is a solid steel
plate in that wall (apparently) that nothing can possibly dent. What is
it, I don't know! ???

Probably a nail stopper protecting the area where Romex crossed over a
2x4.
http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors/ns-nsp-pspnz.asp
Consider yourself lucky that you didn't continue as you would
eventually have drilled through a power line. Next time you drill,
use a stud finder to find the stud, but also use an AC voltage
detector to make sure you're not drilling into a power line.

Please remember that you have only one life to give for your
connectivity.

While the mounting arm can't be tilted - the antenna bracket has many
degrees of tilt and rotation.

The problem is the tilt is hard to judge by eye so I did it by airOS as
shown in the screenshot below:
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/8864421.png

Ummm... you're on AirMax ISP firmware 5.3.5. Version 5.5 is out. Ask
your ISP before upgrading:
http://www.ubnt.com/download#NanoBridge:M2

BTW, I never understood transmit CCQ. Are these numbers OK?

Client Connection Quality. Basically, it's the ratio of how an ideal
radio would be expected to act, divided by what you're really seeing.
The Ubiquity definition is kinda vague. This is from Mikrotik and
hopefully should apply to Ubiquiti.

Client Connection Quality (CCQ) is a value in percent that shows
how effective the bandwidth is used regarding the theoretically
maximum available bandwidth. CCQ is weighted average of values
Tmin/Treal, that get calculated for every transmitted frame,
where Tmin is time it would take to transmit given frame at
highest rate with no retries and Treal is time it took to
transmit frame in real life (taking into account necessary
retries it took to transmit frame and transmit rate).

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D