Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Why hasn't the NRA stepped up and paid the hospital bills of the Colorado shooting victums?

Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks on Mon, 30 Jul 2012 21:40:19 -0400 typed in
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
On 7/30/2012 12:36 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
Have you heard of incidents where cops discharge huge numbers of
rounds with only a small percentage of hits?

"Suppressive Fire".

This shows the caualty rate per whole day when lines of standing
soldiers blasted away at each other at close range:
http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/gabrmetz/table1.gif

In the American Civil War many of the weapons were as or more accurate
than modern pistols.

Thanks, very interesting. It seems that as time went by and firearms
improved as well as the quantity of ammunition available, the
"spray-n-pray" method became more prevalent.

They weren't suppose to "spray and pray", but "service the
target".
The theory is that volume of accurately delivered rifle fire is
what counts, hence the development of the box magazine and bolt
action. The Automatic Self-loading Rifle (M-1 etc) meant that
non-rifle men (the majority of soldiers) could provide that
"accurately delivered rifle fire" with less need to spend lots of time
drilling bolt manipulation into their heads.
Full auto - more of the same.

Given the necessary skills, and the time for development to their
peak, I could use a 22 short derringer pistol, because I could put
both shorts in their eye sockets. Or I could use an M-4 "carbine" and
put 3 in the center of mass, and spend my time pitching woo, or some
other way of investing my time.

--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the