Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jo Stein Jo Stein is offline

Default OT Fat people AGAIN

On 31.07.2012 18:44, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:
Jo Stein wrote:

IG was a good chessplayer as a student. He has some ideeas that I like.
17:10 minutes into this video he tell that we know almost everything
today. Science is not an infinite field, it is a finite field.
We have broken the code of nature, and for most practical purposes
there are no need for any new laws of nature.
http://www.nobelprize.org/mediaplayer/index.php?id=713

They were saying that after Newton had wrapped up calculus and the
laws of motion.

See a pattern? ;-

It's actually far far worse than that. Not only have the key
breakthroughs in 20th century philosophy mathematics and physics all
told us that we don't know what going on, but in all cases that we
never actually can..

Chaos mathematics, Godel's incompleteness principle, Heisenberg's
uncertainty principle, Turing's incomputability theorems..

Jo is a man with physucs envy, who longs for and believes that some
formula will actually express everything there is to know and enable us
to predict and control anything we want.

Or 'fundamentally overeducated for his ability to understand' as we like
to say.

I do not now have time for a long answer,
and I think that Isaac Asimov has written something
that explains why there is an end to science:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tcOi9a3-B0
--
jo
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its