Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electromics.basics
JosephKK JosephKK is offline

Default Loony Question for Today

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 21:02:27 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 20:41:37 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 19:26:44 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

That's a weenie answer.

Simplistic questions deserve simplistic answers. You forgot to supply
any context, such was what you were trying to accomplish. Are you
concerned about temperature rise in some sort of package? Do you have
any efficiency or total power consumption compliance specifications?
Are you experiencing problems with one or the other technology?
Inquiring minds want to know.

I suppose you'd say I should use CFL's ?:-)
...Jim Thompson

Nope. LED lighting would be too easy. For your unspecified
application, methinks burning torch, propane, kerosene wick, or
Coleman white gas illumination might be equally appropriate. Why
loose efficiency converting fossil fuels to electricity and then to
mostly heat in your lamps, when you can produce the light directly?
Think of all the possible applications for MEMS miniature propane
illuminators.

Sno-o-o-ort! Old office fan with light fixture, one single 150W
Halogen, 18 years old, fails. New weenie fixture made impotent by
leftist rules takes 3 x 40W incandescent... strange, eh? I'm trying
to get light output up. I may end up rolling my own LED... multiples
on a round PCB to fit the "globe".

...Jim Thompson

You will still have a heat dissipation problem, LEDs can barely take 400 k
though the lumens per watt is good.

?-)