Posted to rec.woodworking

Default PVC for dust collection, is it safe?

If the plastic fails it might shard and be dangerous.
Wonder about long term after n-flexes or n-hits in corners.
Martin

On 7/27/2012 6:51 AM, Leon wrote:
On 7/26/2012 12:16 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 7/26/2012 11:02 AM, Dr. Deb wrote:
jtpr wrote:

I asked a long time ago about duct work for DC in my shop, 2 years
later I'm finally ready to do it. I have a 1.5hp single stage
collector and I want to get the 4" hoses off the floor. I would
really like to use 4" PVC to do this as it is a whole lot easier,
accessible, and cheaper. But what about static? Is it really that
unsafe? Can it be grounded? This is a small shop, 20x20 and I
will probably just be going to my table saw and planer to start. If
the
PVC is really not safe, then what is wrong with the 30 gauge
metal stuff at HD? I can't believe I have the horsepower in this
machine to buckle it, but maybe I'm wrong. It's just that going to
Woodcraft for duct work is VERY expensive, and ordering online is a
PITA whenever I need something. Thanks again for the input.

-Jim

Mythbusters did a show on trying to get enough static electricty off
a piecss of PVC pipe to cause an explosion. The listed it as
"Thoroughly Busted."

Deb

I would have thought the PVC would have only let off a spark rather
than being thoroughly busted.

Well - it was thoroughly busted - but... even if there were a static
issue,
it would bee too small, in to difuse an environment, to matter at
all. What
most people overlook is that it's not about the static discharge, it's
about
the concentration of the material in question, in the air. You have
to have
a minimul concentration in the air before you can expect a problem.

Exactly! You are going to get the spark, that is a certainty especially
if you see any dust collecting/sticking like a magnet on the outside of
the pipe/hose. The thing to be more concerned about is are there any
combustible vapors lingering around.