Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PrecisionmachinisT PrecisionmachinisT is offline

Default Cheap Calipers

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
Several years ago I picked up a Central Machine (Harbor Fright) caliper.
It was and still is good enough for most things. More recently I picked
up an 8" dial caliper and a digital one at the same Chinese import store
with a PIttsburgh label. They are not as good. In fact I have thrown the
8" away. The digital even when perfectly clean drifts a little from
measure to measure. If I need to "know" what a measurement is I take out
a micrometer, make the measurement, and put it right back in the case in
the tool box, but calipers get left on the work bench. What is out there
on the lower end of the spectrum that is atleast as good as the Central
machine and definitely better than the Pittsburgh?

For convenience I'd like to leave one on each work bench, and one on my
desk.

I quit buying those cheap digital calipers quite a few years back, and
started buying quality, used dial calipers off of ebay instead...

--today, there is a pair pretty much within arms reach of anyplace where the
need for one might arise.