Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default OT The real reason for "global warming" Ba ha ha

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

Han wrote:

My personal feeling is that if there is a chance you can prevent a
lifetime of suffering, for instance by in vitro fertilization and
checking whether the embryo does suffer from a genetic defect, then
you should consider that.

The point is... what is that "lifetime of suffering" that you and
Larry talk about? Fine for you to think about that in the context of
your own perfect lives, but do your really know anyone who lives these
conditions? Have you really ever met and gotten to know anyone who is
really living through this stuff - or are you guys just "deciding" for
them what should be, based on what you think, but do not know? I
think both you and Larry have a lot to learn...

I have not been personally involved, and once there is a child I'd likely
do anything to help that child, but read up on OI, and the suffering
involved. I am not sure that the disease is really inherited, more
likely a "sporadic" mutation, so you wouldn't know until it is too late.
OTOH, there are tests for Huntington's and other diseases. If that were
to run in a family, I'd want to know and take precautions so my children
wouldn't get it. As I said, I'm beyond the stage where would need to
make decisions (even my kids are finished procreating, AFAIK). But I'd
urge people with family history to do some planning. Then they have the
facts to make their own decisions, and they should be respected no matter
what. You'll find no inducement for eugenics from me.

--
Best regards
Han