Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PrecisionmachinisT PrecisionmachinisT is offline

Default Why hasn't the NRA stepped up and paid the hospital bills oftheColoradoshooting victums?

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message ...
"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
"J. Clarke" wrote:

I've heard plenty of "real gun owners" use "clip" for "box
magazine".
I've even heard a US Army gunnery sergeant use it.

But maybe you classify "real gun owner" as something other than
"person
who owns a real gun".

You didn't call it a 'gun' in the Army. It was a 'weapon',
which
they were quick to remind those who forgot. Usually followed by
20,
and having to recite: "This is my weapon, this my gun! One is for
shooting, the other is for fun!!!"

I've heard both "clip" and "mag" from experienced users. It's easier
to pick up a habit than to drop it, and beginners copy what they first
heard. In the military they may call all ground transportation
"vehicle" and anything that flies an "aircraft", including
helicopters. We discussed that a few years ago in
rec.aviation.military.

How careful are we to distinguish between motors and engines? There IS
a difference.

It's commonly called a "clip" because it "clips" into place...

The term "magazine" in and of itself does not necessarily imply something that can be quickly separated from the rifle for reloading...for instance, instead of having a clip; pump shotguns, lever action and most bolt action-type rifles generally will have a tubular type magazine which, for all practical purposes; is permanently attached..

And FWIW, when *I* was in the military, range officers used the term "clip" almost exclusively.