Posted to alt.home.repair

Default type of paint for sheet rock in bachrooms

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 11:33:10 -0400, Jan Philips
wrote:

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 08:28:13 -0400, "Dave M."
wrote:

The guy favors using Glidden flat paint when he paints bathrooms. That
does not mean that he uses a special bathroom flat paint. Do you know what
paint he used?

No, I will try to find out.

I think you misunderstood your painter. Are you having
problems with the paint job?

He is not a professional painter - he was doing maintenance there. The
job was done Friday. He told me that he was using paint designed for
bathrooms, but when I saw it Friday it was flat. I knew that usually
eggshell or semi-gloss was used for bathrooms, so I was surprised when
it was flat. Last night I looked up Glidden paints on their website
and they recomend their semi-gloss for bathrooms and high-moisture
areas.

Some manufacturers (BM, for one) have a "matte" finish that's supposed to be
washable. It's really somewhere between eggshell and flat but has a harder
surface, like eggshell. It's not cheap, though.