Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electromics.basics
Jim Thompson[_3_] Jim Thompson[_3_] is offline

Default Loony Question for Today

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 21:46:33 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 21:02:27 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Sno-o-o-ort!

Ok, you're forgiven (this time only).

Old office fan with light fixture, one single 150W
Halogen, 18 years old, fails. New weenie fixture made impotent by
leftist rules takes 3 x 40W incandescent... strange, eh?

The eco-leftist commie liberal green rules are for your own good. It
saves energy by requiring you to buy 3 times as many fixtures, 3 times
as many lamps, and pay 3 times as much for them. You're going to save
energy even if it costs you extra cash. Think of it as part of job
creation.

I'm trying
to get light output up. I may end up rolling my own LED... multiples
on a round PCB to fit the "globe".
...Jim Thompson

By coincidence, I had a similar problem. I needed overhead
illumination from a fixture known to trap heat and burn out CFL bulbs.
CFL bulbs just didn't last running with the fluorescent tube heating
the electronics. Taking a step backwards, I found myself illuminating
the ceiling rather than the area below the lamp fixture. A screw type
LED "bulb" repeated this mistake by also lighting the ceiling. I
eventually found that three 45 degree LED flood lamps put most of the
light in the desired area. With your arrangement, a similar
arraignment might be suitable (unless you enjoy looking at an
illuminated ceiling).

With 3 fixtures, you might look into "flood" type lighting. 45
degrees beam width is fairly common. 60 degrees can be found, but is
more expensive:
http://www.ledlight.com/spot-flood-led-lights.aspx
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/catalog/servlet/Search?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&keyword=led%20flood%20lights&Ns= None&Ntpr=1&Ntpc=1&selectedCatgry=SEARCH+ALL

However, that's too easy and rather boring. Since you have a ceiling
fan, I think it would be cool to attach a row of LED's (LED tape) to
each flan blade, for illumination. It won't be very bright, but it
would be much more fun to build and watch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG72BEmQgi0

Maybe make it wind-powered ?:-)

Maybe some color?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB_DnG49JiM