Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Threaded Tapers

On 2012-07-29, phaedrus wrote:
Hi guys,

I've seen pictures of threaded tapers being machined on lathes and was
wondering what the hell use they are? I mean, since the diameter of
the threaded section is constantly varying, what can it possibly be
screwed into? I cannot imagine any nut or internal thread that would
accommodate such a piece of work.

Well ... pipe threads are commonly tapered. It provides greater
sealing force as you drive the male thread into the female one.

Other than that -- if you have a longer thread (e.g. a screw),
you can push it into the hole a ways before the threads engage -- acting
as a guide.

There are probably other reasons to have them, but these are the
two which come immediately to mind.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564