Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee F. George McDuffee is offline

Default Threaded Tapers

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 05:00:32 -0700 (PDT), phaedrus
wrote:

Hi guys,

I've seen pictures of threaded tapers being machined on lathes and was
wondering what the hell use they are? I mean, since the diameter of
the threaded section is constantly varying, what can it possibly be
screwed into? I cannot imagine any nut or internal thread that would
accommodate such a piece of work.

Kindly disabuse me of my ignorance if you can, thanks.

P.

=================
API [American Petroleum Institute] drill stem, collar and
bit threads.

http://ballots.api.org/ecs/sc5/ballo.../5B_3064ag.pdf
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...47/index2.html
http://www.kennametal.com/images/pdf...ngTechData.pdf

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"